Wednesday, April 3, 2013

120 After-Dinner Mints.

So, when we last left Kat, she was heading to Barnes and Noble to pick up an Intro to Cooking cookbook for her son's and boyfriend's torture sessions cooking lessons.

I love buying cookbooks....so this was just a heckuva lotta fun for me.  Not only did I find a great cookbook for Kat's Awesome Cooking School (yes, I've named it), but it was on the clearance rack.  Score.  Oh, but here's the COOL part.

You have to understand something, dearest reader.  Once you start blogging - and this is my fourth year now - you see EVERYTHING as a potential blog topic.  EVERYTHING.  If I actually ACCOMPLISHED, oh, even 20% of my hare-brained ideas, I would be broke, exhausted, my laptop keyboard would be worn out, and I would possibly be in a full-body cast.  That being said, I saw idea after idea staring back at me on the bookshelves.   I immediately discounted most of them, as Julie Powell already did the whole "cooking through a cookbook" blog thing, and I don't want to be a copy Kat.  (do you see what I did there?)  I sauntered down the aisle, and found myself in the "local cuisine" section.  This one jumped out at me - the "Places to Kiss Cookbook."  A charming tome, filled with write-ups and recipes from inns and restaurants all over the Pacific Northwest.  The wheels started turning as I pictured Thor and me driving from town to town, sampling scrumptious little dainties and, of course, kissing at each place.  And YOU, dearest reader - YOU would get to read about it!  I snatched it like Golam and wrapped my arm around it so nobody would try to wrestle this one and only copy from my clutches.

My blog fantasy came crashing down about 5 pages in, as I realized that the author's definition of "Pacific Northwest" and my personal definition differed greatly.  I naively assumed the author meant an area within 200 miles or so of my front door.  I assumed incorrectly.  Since Canada and Northern California are both rather far to drive for dinner, not to mention spendy - I decided, with a sigh, to slide my ticket to the Pulitzer back on the shelf.   Fear not- I was only slightly miffed.  This basic scenario, with only slight modification of detail, happens to me at least 8 times a week.  I've learned to deal with disappointment and have lost more Pulitzer ideas than most real writers will ever actually have.

I turned to go, wistful about what could have been, when I saw the word "Spokane."  Hey, I live there.  I willed my hand not to tremble as I slowly, slowly pulled a thin book from the shelf.   As I turned it over, here's what I saw:

 
 
120 restaurants - all in Spokane.  Each with its own page, its own recipe.  Published in 2011 - so I'm guessing most are still in business.  My jaw dropped, my Michael Kors bag hit the floor, and I started jumping up and down. 
 
I called Thor right there in the middle of the bookstore and left him this message:
 
 
THOR!  THOR THOR THOR THOR THOR THOR THOR!  OH MY GOD THOR!  I JUST HAD THE MOST AWESOME BLOG IDEA EVER!  YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!  Okay, maybe not, but I think it's AWESOME!
 
Yeah, that's not unusual either.  I provide entertainment wherever I go.
 
So when I saw Thor later that night, I shared my idea about how we could go to all these restaurants, eat at them - maybe even eat the food featured in the recipe! - and write about it for you.  My presentation of my idea is probably best described as "enthusiastic."
 
I eventually stopped to inhale.  Thor blinked a few times, gave his head a little tilt, and said, "So...your 'idea' is, basically, a list of places that I have to take you out to eat at?"  I told you all he's quick on the draw. 
 
Fear not, dearest reader.  The idea has grown on him.  He even suggested that we take the book with us and have the pages signed by the chef at the restaurant when we eat there.   He's totally in.  I am so beyond excited, it's not even funny. Where do we go first????  How do we decide????   Your suggestions are welcome.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment