Tuesday, March 5, 2013

And The Story Topic Is.....


So, here’s a Kat-ism for you.  If I like you, I will write you a story.

My darling friend Sheila and I have exchanged birthday stories for years.  In fact, last week I was just considering a topic for this year’s story, to be presented in a stylish birthday card the first week in April.  Everyone knows that Sheila’s birthday is April 3rd…except Sheila, who chooses to celebrate it in March.    Cough cough.  Facebook is good for that, isn’t it.  “Thanks everyone for my birthday well-wishes!” Sheila says.  “Crap.” Kat says.  I seriously thought I had another month, Shewelah my dear.  Don’t cry any tears for her; she just had a baby, she’s too busy to read anyway until April.  So it all works out in the end.

Anyhow, if I like you, I will write you a story. So a couple days ago, I decided to write one for Thor.  Here’s the basic plot – Thor and Kat are out and about, and are going to try something.  Kat is excited about it; Thor is not.  And the kicker – in the story, I don’t actually state what the something we are going to try IS.  That was for Thor to guess.  The little story I wrote for him belongs to him only; I’m not sharing it in its entirety here.  However, I’m pasting in the first few lines for you, to give you the general idea:

 Saturday

It was a moderately chilly day, but that was no problem for me; I always dressed in layers and had no intention of holding still for long.  So there I stood (looking rather cute, if I do say so myself) facing the man of my dreams.  In my dreams, however, he never looked at me like he did in that moment – like I was clinically insane. 

“I told you this wouldn’t work.  It never does.”
I made eye contact with a jerk of the chin, followed by a vigorous shake of the head.  “It will work.  Trust me.”
“I do trust you.  Completely.  But I’m telling you, this isn’t going to work.”
I stretched my arm toward Mr. Pessimistic.  “Just grab my hand and hold on.  I’m sure this will work.  I’ve done it a million times.”
Forearms crossed an obstinate chest.  “You are exaggerating again.  You’ve never done this, not even once, and you are going to get us both killed.” 

And that is as specific as it gets.  So, dearest reader – what do you think we are going to do?  Thor’s guesses – run across a 6-lane highway or rob a bank.  I haven’t told him the answer yet; I texted him this morning with the news that I was blogging it tonight.  No comment from him; so he’s either really, really excited, or I’m newly single.

Let me start by saying – Thor, we are NOT running across a 6-lane highway.  Do you recall, my dearest heart, that YOU wanted to actually DO THAT on Argonne, that one day when we were waiting for the bus out in front of the BBQ place – and I was the one who said no?  So that’s not the right answer.

Robbing a bank – good guess, but no.  Banks generally aren’t open on Saturday, for one thing.  It’s illegal, for another.

Spoiler alert – if you are, well, bored with your life in general and want to hazard a guess as to the topic – stop reading now.  Go ahead and post your answer below and come back tomorrow.   Otherwise, I present to you – the SATURDAY MORNING MYSTERY ACTIVITY…….

I have no idea.  I just started writing, and out the story came.  Your guess is as good as mine. 

I love you, darling.  You are rolling your eyes right now, aren’t you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment